Tuesday, March 15, 2005

ChiCom Editing

My Media Lapdogs post requires an update courtesy of Hugh Hewitt.

Washington Post Managing Editor Philip Bennett has a transcription of his interview with a ChiCom rag for all to reference.

People’s Daily version:

Yong Tang: In such sense, do you think America should be the leader of the world?

Bennett: No, I don't think US should be the leader of the world.

Bennett transcription from tape:

What was really said:

Yong Tang: Another question is that since the Washington Post is mainstream media in American how does the newspaper deal with the relations between America and the rest of the world? Do you think America should be the leader of the world?

Bennett: You know I don't ask myself that question. Again that would be to express a political view, an editorial view, and I ...

Yong Tang: How about personal opinion.

Bennett:You know, I don't...

Bennett does seem somewhat naive in this entire exchange.

But, that "would be to express an editorial view."