Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Waxing Philosophical

Can we take this election too seriously?

I've asked myself that question many times over the past weeks, but keep coming back to the same answer.

No.

Why?

Hitler could not kill nearly 3,000 Americans on our own soil.

Terrorists can and did and there is no evidence they will not do so again given the opportunity.

Reading Drudge tonight, I learn that Clancy's The Teeth of the Tiger plot may be unfolding as we sleep.

Or, it may not.

Clearly, such a plot is not inconceivable.

But, does Kerry think in the same vein? Does he think we are in danger?

I'm not convinced he does.

Here is a view suggesting Kerry is a Terror Hawk.

Here is a starkly pessimistic view of Kerry from a Jewish lifelong liberal.

The final two paragraphs are powerful both for their historical sweep as well as immediacy:

“You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today,” said President Lincoln at another decisive moment in our nation’s history. The War on Islamic Terror must be waged fully, humanely, and successfully. This monumental battle is both our burden and our privilege, for as Thomas Paine said when our country was born, “If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”

On November 2nd, I will choose to honor my heritage as a Jew and as an American by voting for George Bush.

If you have the time, this is an excellent read.

(Hat Tip: Roger Simon.)