Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Kerry Fantasy

If you have time, Lilek's Wednesday Bleat is a great romp.

He starts by making you laugh out loud; next he disects (and without anesthesia) Andrew Sullivan's yawning endorsement of Kerry before he slips into fantasy:

I admit. I have a fantasy. Kerry wins. He’s having a summit with Tony Blair. In the middle of the conversation, Chirac calls up; Kerry excuses himself and has a brief chat about a new resolution to let French oil companies bid on reconstruction projects, and they have an amiable conversation in French. Kerry hangs up.

“Your predecessor,” Blair says, “spoke to him in English.”

“I know,” says President Kerry. “He couldn’t speak French.”

“He didn’t have to,” Blair notes. He gives a tight smile. And sighs. And gets down to explaining what now must be done.

If Tony B. ran against Kerry in this country, I wonder who'd win? I'd vote for him. Everything else aside, he gets it. He always has.

Me too -- no brainer.